Please find the Forum videos at this link: Videos
Powerpoint slides can be found below.
Currently, we do not have subtitles for the recordings (in English or Spanish). Apologies.
The World Climate Research Programme (WCRP) leads the way in addressing frontier scientific questions about the coupled climate system — questions that are too large and too complex to be tackled by a single nation, agency, or scientific discipline. For almost 40 years WCRP has coordinated international climate research to advance our understanding of the climate system and how it is affected by human activities. The decades ahead will bring challenges that can only be addressed through a worldwide coordinated effort, involving co-design and stakeholder engagement conducted by a prepared scientific workforce, to support mitigation strategies and adaptation planning. This is one in a series of regional forums, where we will exchange ideas, discuss new activities and opportunities being developed by WCRP, and explore ways that our community of scientists, partner programs, funders, and end-users of our climate science can engage to meet these challenges. This first forum in South America will include two days of discussions:
- WCRP ‘Our Climate Future’ – Detlef Stammer and Helen Cleugh, Chair and Vice Chair of the WCRP Joint Scientific Committee (slides: Day 1 - Introduction, Session 1, Wrap-up Day 1 - Helen Cleugh)
- ‘My Climate Risk’ Lighthouse Activity
- Regina Rodrigues, Federal University of Santa Catarina, Brazil – WCRP My Climate Risk Lighthouse Activity: Inverting the construction of climate information (slides, video).
- Anna Sörensson, Research Centre of the Sea and the Atmosphere, Argentina – Constructing regional climate information relevant for risk assessments and decision making (slides, video).
- Capacity development: What is needed in South America?
- Patricia Krecl, Federal University of Technology, Brazil and RA-III representative, WMO Research Board – Innovation in the WMO Regional Associations: diagnostics and recommendations (slides, video)
- Pablo Borges de Amorim, Federal University of Santa Catarina, Brazil – WCRP Academy Lighthouse Activity (slides, video).
(Slides: Day 2 - Introduction and Closing - Helen Cleugh)
- WCRP ‘Regional Information for Society’ (RIfS) Core Project
- Silvina Solman, University of Buenos Aires, Argentina – CORDEX in South America and Introduction to the new WCRP Core Project: Regional Information for Society (RIfS) (slides, video).
- Germán Poveda, National University of Colombia, Colombia – Hydroclimate Research Program for the Andes (ANDEX) and the connection with RIfS (slides, video).
- Round table – WCRP, Future Earth and the UN Ocean Decade (video)
- Salvatore Arico, Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission of UNESCO (slides); Emmanuelle Di Lorenzo, Future Earth OCEAN KAN (video); Ivonne Montes, Geophysical Institute of Peru. Moderated by Ken Takahashi, WCRP Joint Scientific Committee, and Regina Rodrigues, My Climate Risk Lighthouse Activity.
There will be opportunities for discussion throughout the Forum. The Forum is without charge and is open to all, but we do ask that you register.
The Forum will have Spanish interpretation.
Registration has now closed
We thank the following WCRP Regional Focal Points for organizing this Forum:
|Carla Gulizia||Research Centre of the Sea and the Atmosphere (CIMA/CONICET-UBA), Argentina|
|Boris Dewitte||Centre for Advanced Studies of Arid Zones (CEAZA), Chile/France|
|Andrea Carril||University of Buenos Aires, Argentina|
|Jhan Carlo Espinoza||Institute of Environmental Geosciences (Univ. Grenoble Alpes, IRD, CNRS), Peru/France.|
|Jose Santos||WCRP CLIVAR Core Project, Ecuador/China|
|Julieta Massaferro||National Scientific and Technical Research Council, Argentina|
|Maria Laura Bettolli||University of Buenos Aires-CONICET, Argentina|
|Michelle Simões Reboita||Federal University of Itajubá, Brazil|
We also would like to thank the WCRP JSC Vice Chair, JSC Members, and WCRP Leadership: Helen Cleugh, Tercio Ambrizzi, Ken Takahashi, Silvina Solman, and Regina Rodrigues. The Forum is kindly supported by the International Project Office for CORDEX (Iréne Lake, Anna Eronn), the WCRP Coordination Office for Regional Activities (CORA) (Beatriz Balino, Armelle Reca Remedio, Anke Schluensen-Rico), and the WCRP Secretariat (Narelle van der Wel, Nico Caltabiano).
Image: iStock photo ID: 1221575909