WCRP has three co-sponsors:
World Metorological Organization (WMO)
Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission of UNESCO (IOC-UNESCO)
The International Council for Science (ICSU)
WCRP provides resources to hold meetings and workshops on specific high-priority research topics related to the climate system. Funding comes from its co-sponsors, as well as voluntary contributions from certain countries.
In 2016 the countries that provided additional financial support were:
Without these voluntary contributions WCRP would not be able to function effectively. We would like to thank those countries that do make such contributions and to encourage other countries to do so.
In addition to the voluntary contributions to WCRP, we also acknowledge and thank the nations and institutions that host the WCRP Secretariat, Core Project International Project Offices (IPOs) and the IPO of the Coordinated Regional Climate Downscaling Experiment (CORDEX). In 2016 these were:
- WCRP Secretariat - hosted by the World Meteorological Organization, Geveva, Switzerland
- Climate and Cryosphere (CliC) IPO - hosted by the Norwegian Polar Institute, Tromsø, Norway
- International CLIVAR Global Project Office - hosted by the State Oceanographic Administration First Institute of Oceanography, Qingdao, China
- International CLIVAR Monsoon Project Office - hosted by the Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology, Pune, India
- International GEWEX Project Office - hosted by the Universities Space Research Association, Washington, DC, USA
- SPARC International Project Office - hosted by the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH), Zürich, Switzerland
- International Project Office for CORDEX - hosted by the Swedish Meteorological and Hydrological Institute, Norrköping, Sweden