This discussion series aims to advance knowledge about tipping points in the Earth system. It supports efforts to increase consistency in the treatment of tipping elements in the scientific community, develop a research agenda, and design joint experiments and ideas for a Tipping Element Model Intercomparison Project (TipMip).
This discussion series is a joint activity of the Analysis, Integration, and Modeling of the Earth System (AIMES) global research project of Future Earth, the Earth Commission Working Group 1 Earth and Human Systems Intercomparison Modelling Project (EHSMIP) under the Global Commons Alliance and the Safe Landing Climates Lighthouse Activity of World Climate Research Program (WCRP). This series is also co-organized by the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA), the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research, and the Global Systems Institute at the University of Exeter.
- Ecological tipping points and resilience: when it may occur and when not. 29 September 2023, 14:00-15:30 CEST.
- Methane: possible tipping points or surprises. 7 November 2023, 15:30-17:00 CET.
- Economics view of tipping points. How to incorporate them into cost-benefit analysis and economic projections. 28 November 2023, 15:00-16:30 CET.
- Introduction to tipping elements, irreversibility, and abrupt change in the Earth system. 20 September 2021.
- Tipping elements, irreversibility, and abrupt change in the Earth system | Amazon. 29 November 2021.
- Tipping elements, irreversibility, and abrupt change in the Earth system | Permafrost. 17 January 2022.
- Tipping elements, irreversibility, and abrupt change in the Earth system | Ice Sheets. 25 January 2022.
- Tipping elements, irreversibility, and abrupt change in the Earth system | Ocean. 11 February 2022.
- Tipping elements, irreversibility, and abrupt change in the Earth system | Monsoons. 9 March 2022.
- Human and Earth systems interlinkages. 7 April 2022.
- Tipping towards positive social change. 12 May 2022.
- Paleoclimate insights on societal collapse. 3 June 2022.
- Coral reefs. 20 October 2022.
- Cloud feedbacks and atmospheric dynamics. 23 November 2022.
- Health implications of climate tipping points. 5 December 2022.
- Climate Tipping Points: how to tip society, not the planet. 26 January 2023.
- Governing Earth System Tipping Points in Times of Multiple Crises. 27 February 2023.
- Entering social tipping: norms, agency, and scales. 30 March 2023.
- Climate extremes and impacts on the terrestrial carbon cycle and fires. 20 April 2023.
- Education and Digitalisation, 25 May 2023.