We have already soft-launched the Science and Implementation Plan, with a 2-year timeline to transition us from where we are in early 2020 to a new WCRP structure in full operation by late 2022.
June 2021 - December 2022
- Initiate implementation plan writing
- Consolidate the two new WCRP Core Projects, Earth System Modelling and Observations (ESMO) and Regional Information for Society (RIfS)
- Plan and deliver the first workshops or other events for all new activities
- Look at the 'lessons learned' from the IPCC Sixth Assessment Report (AR6) and plan for the future (workshop)
- Publish the final outcomes and undertake the final activities of the WCRP Grand Challenges (to sunset at the end of 2022)
- Continue planning for the WCRP Open Science Conference in 2023
We will refine and improve the new WCRP, and envision that it will be fully operational by late 2022.
NOTE: The Science and Implementation Plan is not a set and forget document; rather it is a living plan that will be written over the next 1-2 years, and continuously updated.