On 1 September 2018 the WCRP Coordination Office for Regional Activities (CORA) was officially launched, jointly hosted by the Climate Service Center Germany (GERICS) in Hamburg, Germany, and the Bjerknes Centre for Climate Research (BCCR) in Bergen, Norway.
The office will identify opportunities, resources and partners to promote regional climate science in order to address key challenges and objectives in the context of the WCRP Strategic Plan 2019-2029. In addition, the office will assist in integrating and synergizing regional activities within WCRP in cooperation with all WCRP bodies, particularly with the Coordinated Regional Downscaling Experiment (CORDEX). More information will be posted here as the implementation of CORA progresses.
Left: Tore Furevik, Director of BCCR (Photo: Gudrun Sylte, Bjerknes Centre) and right, Daniela Jacob, Director of GERICS (Photo: Christian Schmid/HZG).
The establishment of CORA was the result of two years of planning and discussions. On 10-11 October 2016, a meeting of a WCRP scoping group on a framework for regional activities met in Hamburg, Germany, supported by the Climate Service Center Germany (GERICS) and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) of the USA. The ad hoc team discussed the status of and issues regarding WCRP activities in the regional context and determined a concept to explain climate information for regions in the WCRP context. The outcome of this meeting was the report Scoping a framework for WCRP regional activities, finalized by the end of that year. One of the recommendations of the report was for WCRP to issue an international call to establish a coordinator for WCRP regional activities. At the 38th Session of the Joint Scientific Committee, the recommendations of the scoping report were endorsed and the JSC decided to proceed with an international call to identify a coordinator for WCRP regional activities. The call to host a was issued in July 2017. At the end of the selection process, it was decided that two institutes would jointly host a coordination office on regional activities, the Climate Service Center Germany (GERICS) in Hamburg, Germany, and the Bjerknes Centre for Climate Research (BCCR) in Bergen, Norway. A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between WCRP, GERICS and BCCRandMemorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between WCRP, GERICS and BCCR in July and August of 2018 and the Office officially opened on 1 September 2018 (News item).
- Support the JSC to develop clear WCRP messages on regional climate science (primarily through key messages on fundamental climate science), to be reviewed at the annual JSC sessions;
- Identify opportunities, resources and partners to promote WCRP messages on regional climate science, in collaboration with the JPS;
- Assist in integrating and synergizing regional activities within WCRP in cooperation with the Core Projects including CORDEX, Grand Challenges, Working Groups and other key activities;
- Support and coordinate the planning and implementation of scientific workshops, training and outreach activities that take place in regions, in close coordination with the JSC, the Core Project offices and the JPS;
- Identify, review feasibilities, and engage regional activities for climate science that address key challenges and objectives of WCRP;
- Develop and promote outreach material and website contents to demonstrate WCRP leadership in regionally-relevant WCRP research activities, in close coordination with the Core Project Offices and the JPS;
- Report to the annual JSC sessions on the plans and progress in support of / integrated coordination of WCRP regional activities.