The deadline for the open call for proposals has now been extended until 31 May 2023.
WCRP is delighted to open a call for proposals to host a dedicated project office in support of one of WCRP’s core projects: the Stratosphere-troposphere Processes And their Role in Climate (SPARC).
SPARC is the focal point for climate science related to the atmosphere within WCRP. Atmospheric and climate sciences are increasingly a focus of decision-making across policy, research, and industry and of wide interest to the general public. In its 30-year (1992-2022) history, SPARC’s activities have generated a wealth of cutting-edge research and valuable datasets. SPARC has a major role in key international scientific assessment reports, including the WMO/UNEP Ozone Assessment Reports, which are requested by the Parties of the Montreal Protocol and its Amendments. SPARC is moving forward with an ambitious new strategic plan from 2023, which will further advance those achievements by taking a leadership role at the forefront of international atmospheric science research. All SPARC efforts are part of WCRP’s activities and embedded in its overarching WCRP Science and Implementation Plan.
Benefits to the Host Institution
The Host Institution will significantly benefit from hosting the SPARC IPO by having a close interaction with this critical domain of research. It will serve as a great opportunity for the host to help deliver the exciting new goals of SPARC to the international community. In addition, the host institution will have the benefit of:
- Enhancing their international profile through clear identification with the WCRP international community
- Underscoring the commitment of the national research community to international cooperation
- Association and participation in a range of international meetings, workshops, and regional activities
- Collaboration with other networks, including those of early career scientists
- Contributing to the well-established links that the engagement of scientists from the host institute has already established through international research projects to the global community of climate researchers
- Career development for early career scientists in connecting them with the international research community and involvement in SPARC activities and outreach panel
- Playing an important role in refining and implementing WCRP’s new strategy
Further, the development of an active scientific partnership between SPARC and scientists at the Host Institution is encouraged, with the aim of increased international exposure and additional scientific publications.
The SPARC IPO’s role will be to support this work on all related levels in close cooperation with the SPARC co-chairs and Scientific Steering Group, the WCRP leadership and the WCRP Secretariat in Geneva.
- Download the open call application package
- The deadline for proposals is 31 May 2023.
All communications and enquiries regarding this call should be directed in English to Hindumathi Palanisamy (