American Monsoons: Progress and Future Plans
19-24 August, 2019 | ICTP-SAIFR, São Paulo, Brazil
The Advanced School and Workshop on American Monsoons will bring together scientists and students to present and discuss research on the American monsoons and their role in the global monsoon system and to plan future activities. The events will take place at the International Centre for Theoretical Physics at the South American Institute for Fundamental Research (ICTP-SAIFR) and are fostered by the Working Group on American Monsoons, one of the regional monsoons working groups established under the coordination of the WCRP CLIVAR/GEWEX Monsoons Panel.
Topics to be covered include:
- Global context, main features, life cycle of the American monsoons;
- Variability on diurnal, mesoscale and synoptic time scales; sub-seasonal to seasonal variability;
- Variability on interannual and decadal/interdecadal time scales; modulation of extreme events by climate variability; longer-term variability and climate change;
- Predictability and prediction (weather, sub-seasonal, seasonal and longer lead times); modelling studies;
- Impacts on society; future challenges; plans for observational studies, diagnostic analyses, and modelling activities. Discussions on future collaboration.
For more information on how to participate please see the ICTP-SAIFR website. There is no registration fee, but places are limited.
The deadline for requesting financial support is 14 April 2019 and for registering is 9 June 2019.