6-17 November 2017 | Bonn, Germany
Coming Monday, 6th November, the 23rd Conference of the Parties (COP) to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) will open its doors in Bonn, Germany (COP23 is hosted by the UNFCCC secretariat and presided over by Fiji). WCRP will continue its strong presence at the COP sessions in a number of side events and more (see below).
WCRP will officially be represented at COP23 by both the chair of its Joint Scientific Committee (JSC), Guy Brasseur, as well as WCRP Acting Director, Deon Terblanche (Director of Research at the World Meteorological Organization, WMO). In addition, a number of WCRP community leaders will contribute to the COP23 science discussions.
WCRP will be involved in the following events and sessions:
- 6 November (Monday), 15:00: Official opening of the forty-seventh session of the Subsidiary Body for Scientific and Technological Advice (SBSTA-47)
WCRP JSC chair Guy Brasseur will deliver an oral statement on WCRP contributions to the IPCC assessment reports, on community-based climate indicators and the continued relevance of fundamental science.
- 6 November (Monday), 13:15 – 14:45: United Nations System side event on “Importance of science in supporting adaptation and mitigation under the Paris Agreement”
WCRP JSC chair Guy Brasseur will be a moderator at this side event, which is co-organized by WMO and the World Food Programme (WFP), with additional contributions by IOC of UNESCO as well as UNEP and IPCC.
- 10 November (Friday), 08:00 – 10:00: Informal strategy meeting between the SBSTA Chair and the Earth observation community
WCRP will be represented by its Acting Director Deon Terblanche.
- 10 November (Friday) 18:15 – 20:15, Turkey Pavillon (Bonn zone): “Where and when habitability limits of the Earth will be reached due to climate change?"
This side event is co-organized by ICSU and WCRP. WCRP JSC member Martin Visbeck will moderate the discussion, which is followed by high-level expert talks on the importance of climate science and its implications for various societal sectors.
- 11 November (Saturday), 15:00 – 16:30: Session on “#CitiesIPCC: Advancing science to accelerate effective climate action in human settlements.”
WCRP is one of the co-organizers of the “Cities and Climate Change Science Conference: Fostering new scientific knowledge for cities based on science, practice and policy”. WCRP Acting Director Deon Terblanche and WCRP Senior Scientific Officer Boram Lee will discuss with researchers, urban practitioners and municipal decision-makers.
- 15 November (Wednesday), all day: Future Earth side event on "SDGs at the urban level"
Daniela Jacob (GERICS, Germany) will represent WCRP as panelist and discuss with decision-makers and municipal practitioners the co-design of a research agenda for urban climate. Also see the web page of the Co-Design Project Group "SDGs on urban level" by the German Committee Future Earth (available in German only).
For further information, last-minute updates, logistics, and all other information, please see the following UNFCCC web pages:
The official list of COP23 side events and exhibits: https://seors.unfccc.int/seors/reports/events_list.html?session_id=COP23
The official, revised COP23 homepage: https://cop23.unfccc.int/