HIWeather research focuses on the entire value chain of the provision of weather forecasts and warnings on time-scales of minutes to two weeks. WCRP and the World Weather Research Programme (WWRP) will work together to ensure maximum interaction between WCRP's Grand Challenge on Weather and Climate Extremes and the HIWeather project. HIWeather seeks to:
- Advance understanding of weather processes and predictability
- Advance weather-related hazard forecasting on various scales
- Advance forecasting of impacts
- Measure skill and value of forecasts and warnings
- Improve the communication and perception of forecasts and warnings
The workshop will focus on hazards and impacts that result from disruptive winter weather, extreme localized winds, wildfires, urban flood, as well as urban heat and air quality. The workshop will be guided by the question of how the value of warnings can be increased.
The workshop is organized by the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) and hosted by Chinese Academy of Meteorological Sciences (CAMS), China Meteorology Administration (CMA)