I. Overview CMIP6-Endorsed MIPs
- AerChemMIP- Aerosols and Chemistry Model Intercomparison Project
- C4MIP - Coupled Climate Carbon Cycle Model Intercomparison Project
- CDRMIP - The Carbon Dioxide Removal Model Intercomparison Project
- CFMIP - Cloud Feedback Model Intercomparison Project
- DAMIP - Detection and Attribution Model Intercomparison Project
- DCPP - Decadal Climate Prediction Project
- FAFMIP - Flux-Anomaly-Forced Model Intercomparison Project
- GeoMIP - Geoengineering Model Intercomparison Project
- GMMIP - Global Monsoons Model Intercomparison Project
- HighResMIP - High-Resolution Model Intercomparison Project
- ISMIP6 - Ice Sheet Model Intercomparison Project for CMIP6
- LS3MIP - Land Surface, Snow and Soil Moisture
- LUMIP - Land-Use Model Intercomparison Project
- OMIP - Ocean Model Intercomparison Project
- PAMIP – Polar Amplification Model Intercomparison Project
- PMIP - Palaeoclimate Modelling Intercomparison Project
- RFMIP - Radiative Forcing Model Intercomparison Project
- ScenarioMIP - Scenario Model Intercomparison Project
- VolMIP - Volcanic Forcings Model Intercomparison Project
- CORDEX - Coordinated Regional Climate Downscaling Experiment
- DynVarMIP - Dynamics and Variability Model Intercomparison Project
- SIMIP - Sea Ice Model Intercomparison Project
- VIACS AB - Vulnerability, Impacts, Adaptation and Climate Services Advisory Board
II. Application Process CMIP6-Endorsed MIPs
20 August 2015: Endorsement Process of April 2015 proposal finishedBased on the assessment of the 10 CMIP6 endorsement criteria that were agreed at the WGCM 18th Session in October 2014, the CMIP Panel and WGCM co-chairs have now endorsed 21 Model Intercomparison Projects (MIPs). The revised and final MIP proposals for the endorsement process can be found in CMIP6-EndorsedMIPs_Summary_150819_Sent.pdf.
The CMIP6 design will be described in a Geoscientific Model Development special issue with submissions of an overview paper and the CMIP6-Endorsed MIP contributions envisaged by end of March 2016. The description of the experiments and forcing data sets presented in this special issue will define CMIP6 in detail.
08 April 2015: Final MIP proposals for endorsement process receivedThe final MIP proposals for the endorsement process have now been received (except for information of the data request), see ApplicationSummary_CMIP6-EndorsedMIPs_150408_Sent.pdf. The overview of the proposed MIP experiments is available here. The proposals are now reviewed by the CMIP panel and WGCM co-chairs.
08 December 2014: Overview of MIPs that have applied for CMIP6 Endorsement
The MIP Proposals (except for information of the data request) have now been scientifically revised and harmonized with other MIPs, see attached summaries ApplicationSummary_CMIP6_EndorsedMIPs_141203_Sent.pdf.
The revised set of applications is now sent out for review by the wider community (e.g., WCGM, WCRP Grand Challenges and the theme of collaboration on biogeochemical forcings and feedbacks, WCRP projects, MIP co-chairs and modelling groups). We aim to finish this review process by mid-January and will provide the MIP co-chairs with a synthesis with comments and recommendations for each MIP by mid-February 2015.
10 November 2014: Applications for MIPs to be endorsed for CMIP6
Applications for MIPs to be endorsed for CMIP6 can be sent to the CMIP Panel Chair Veronika Eyring (
28 July 2014: Previous versions of the MIP application template:
Last Updated: 13 March 2018