The activities in support of WCRP integrating themes are carried out by ad hoc working groups:
- The WCRP Modelling Advisory Council (WMAC) coordinates high-level aspects of modeling across WCRP, ensuring cooperation with main WCRP partners such as WWRP.
- The WCRP Data Advisory Council (WDAC) acts as a single entry point for all WCRP data, information, and observation activities and coordinates their high-level aspects across WCRP, ensuring cooperation with main WCRP partners such as GCOS and other observing programmes.
- The Working Group on Coupled Modelling (WGCM) coordinates WCRP modelling activities and organizes numerical experimentation for the IPCC assessments.
- The Working Group on Numerical Experimentation (WGNE) fosters the development of atmospheric circulation models for use in weather, climate, water and environmental prediction on all time scales.
- The Working Group on Subseasonal to Interdecadal Prediction (WGSIP) is developing a program of numerical experimentation for seasonal-to-interannual variability and predictability.
- The Working Group on Regional Climate (WGRC) prioritizes and coordinates regional climate research within WCRP and serves as the conduit for two-way information exchange between WCRP and the various institutions and coordinating bodies that provide climate services, including the Global Framework for Climate Services (GFCS).